Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sage's Birthday Bash

In honor of Sage celebrating her 3rd birthday, I decided to try and make one of those "dog" birthday cakes! (But let's be honest, I was sort of procrastinating and projects always sound more appealing to me when I have something else I'm supposed to be doing...also, my mom had given me some cute dog bone sprinkles (originally for Halloween cupcakes) that I had been saving for this very occasion.)

Anyway, I went online and googled "dog birthday cake recipes" and clicked on the very first link, which unsurprisingly is called "Dog Birthday Cake Recipes."


Here's the recipe if you'd like to give it a try...Sage was VERY interested the entire time I was baking!
1 cup white or whole wheat flour 
tsp baking soda 
1/4 cup peanut butter 
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
1 cup shredded carrots 
tsp vanilla 
1/3 cup honey 
1 egg
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
Mix together flour and baking soda. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into a ring mold sprayed with a nonstick spray for 40 minutes.
Frost this cake with low fat cottage cheese and decorate with carrot pieces. Store in refrigerator. 
I made a couple of changes:
I didn't have a ring mold so I used two little loaf pans and instead of cottage cheese I used the cream cheese icing recipe for the frosting. 

Cinnamon Frosting:

Combine the following ingredients and blend thoroughly: 
12 ounces nonfat cream cheese (room temperature) 
3 tsp cinnamon 
1 tsp vanilla 
1 tsp honey



I thought green frosting would be appropriate. (If you're new to our blog, you can read why I chose the color green, here.)



They actually smelled pretty good coming out of the oven!


I decided to make it a two layer cake because what dog doesn't deserve a two layer birthday cake?! (and one of the mini loafs was significantly smaller than the other one.) However, as you can see, I ran out of icing...but I think I played it off well!


I thought it turned out pretty cute!


Obviously I couldn't let Sage have all the fun, so I made some human-friendly cupcakes with cream cheese icing & cute dog bone sprinkles!




Sage reluctantly waited as I took this picture...I'm pretty sure she was drooling!



I let her have one little lick for the picture and then snatched it up before she could take a bite! My husband wanted to be a part of the party and he didn't get home until 6.


So this is Sage actually eating her birthday cake, which she devoured almost immediately! (NOTE: In order to avoid tummy aches, Sage was only allowed to have a little slice...)


Apart from a little oven burn on my wrist, we celebrated Sage's birthday with a bang! Next year we'll have some friends over!

Happy birthday Sagey! Let's hope your next year of life will be less eventful...

4 comments:

  1. Oh my. I made that same one for Jack (but no icing). He loved his too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! My dog has her birthday in April, so I'll have an excuse to try it out. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there! just wanted to let you know you've won an award. come by my blog to pick it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Sage, happy beLATEd birthday!! She is gorgeous, Erin! And how lucky is she to have such a great mom! I'm going to have to make this cake for Claire who will be turning 3 in April! I wonder if she'll share it with me?!

    ReplyDelete