Sunday, November 27, 2011

I Guess We'll Stay On The Topic Of Injuries...


I'd like to start this post off by saying that I'm actually a good Dog Mom.  I love Sagey very much and try to keep her healthy and safe. It just seems Sage is drawn to danger or is simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Today it was the latter...


Today, Sage and I tagged along with the hubby when he went to pick up Lady & Hawk (Sage's brother and sister) from his sister's house. John's sister and brother-in-law live on some land sort of out in the country. They often find themselves taking in stray dogs that wander onto their property malnourished and in rough shape. Right now I think they have 7 dogs. They're pretty great!

John brought Sage's Chunk-It thrower and tennis ball out there and found a good place to play Sage's favorite game. While they were playing catch, one of the other dogs nipped at Sage as she ran by to get her ball. It wasn't until the dog ran back to the house that Sage hesitantly trotted back to John. Apparently, one of the dog's teeth tore and ripped some of Sage's skin aside leaving a large, gaping hole.


We decided that it would be best to take Sage to the emergency vet to get antibiotics at the least, since she has a history of infections, especially with dog bites.  Since John's sister lives about 45 minutes from our house, we immediately began the trek home. Sage was in good spirits and didn't seem phased at all...well, maybe a little.


I was expecting for Sage to be seen by a vet and quickly sent home with a large dose of antibiotics, but instead the vet said Sage needed to be sedated and sutured to prevent the wound from getting infected. I was a little caught off guard and reluctantly watched as they took Sage to the back to await surgery.

John came to pick me up and I nervously waited for the call to hear how the surgery went. A couple of hours later, I was able to pick Sage up and take her home.


8 stitches later, Sage was more than ready to go home!



She is supposed to wear the cone until the stitches come out...which I hear is in 10-14 days. Although I took it off for a little while at home since she was having trouble getting through the door frames! I'll put it on when we go to sleep tonight.

Feel better soon Sagey Girl, but can you please explain to me how in the world you get hurt all the time? Seriously, this is getting a little hard to explain!!

1 comment:

  1. That cone makes things really loud. I'm sure she would be a super guard dog with that thing on. Get better soon Sage.

    ReplyDelete